Hell Oh Entropy!

Life, Code and everything in between

FUDCon Pune Planning meeting minutes: 2015-04-07

The FUDCon volunteer team met again today after a week to discuss progress. Todays meeting had sparse attendance and we mostly just skimmed over the main points. The main highlight was the acceptance of a number of travel sponsorship tickets. If you intend to come to FUDCon Pune and need travel assistance, please file a ticket for sponsorship. We’re accepting requests till 30th April 2015.

The other highlight was that the talk selection process wasn’t going as fast as we had thought. We will need another week before we can come up with a list of selected talks. The deadline for it is now revised to 14th April.

We also had some movement on the SWAG front, with a couple of volunteers (including yours truly) to get quotes for various swag items. The full minutes follow; most points are a repeat of last week to maintain a current state of each of the main points.


7 April 2015

Agenda + Minutes
———–

  • Travel updates?
    • Start meeting regarding this in #fudcon-planning
    • Prepare an invitation letter for them (for visa).
      • Huzaifa to talk to RH HR for such a letter.
    • Ask Ruth about us booking tickets instead of getting speakers/requestors to book tickets and reimburse after the conference
      • Huzaifa to drop this email
    • For ausil, jrusnack, reicatnor:
      • Ask RH to sponsor?



  • Budget
    • (no update this week)
    • Make and maintain a publicly visible sheet to track expenses?
    • Sent a reminder to Ruth
      • Ruth replied; she’s OK with using RH expense system



  • Scheduling
    • https://ethercalc.org/fudcon-schedule
      • Rough timetable
    • We will have to select a few talks to schedule; and ask others to do barcamp-style
    • Siddhesh + Neeependra + Amit + Kushal
    • kushal to retract his talk to be unbiased in talk selection
    • We will have daily meetings till we go through the list
    • Since  we had a lot of Gluster / Docker / Openstack submissions, we decided  we’ll do one or two overview talks in the main session and have BOF /  mini-confs for these sub-projects.
    • We almost finished the entire list for the first pass.  We’ll need a couple more passes.
    • We pushed the deadline for selecting all talks to 15 Apr



  • Outreach
    • http://piratepad.net/FudCon-outreach-list
      • this is for industry + mailing lists (communities)
      • we need help here with more lists + more volunteers to do the outreach.
    • http://piratepad.net/FUDCon-College-Outreach
      • Reach out to MIT to let them know about the event (mid/late May)
      • Do some sessions in colleges after exams over (exams get over mid-April)
      • Let’s do in:
        • MIT-COE
        • Cummins
        • COEP
        • PCCOE
        • Sinhagad
      • 12 weekends before our event to do these sessions
    • Video series
      • Shreyank spoke with some video editors to get an idea of things to keep in mind; and also give them an idea of what we are looking for.
      • Videos from FPL (Matthew Miller), jsmith, Kushal, Parag, Rahul, Joerg, etc. – extolling the virtues of FUDCon + Pune
        • Kushal and Shreyank to work on this
        • Two videos:
          • One in April
          • One in May
        • Reach out to design/marketing team for editing help.

  • Marketing
    • no updates this week
    • Fedora magazine
    • Twitter
    • Facebook
    • Google Plus
    • LinkedIn group

  • FUDCon.next planning
    • We should start a tradition to announce the next fudcon at the current one
    • We should start the bid process beforehand and get a bid selected before the current one starts
    • The FUDCon pages on the Fedora wiki already mention 1 yr of lead time is needed for starting the fudcon planning process.
    • https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon_organization_process
    • Tuanta taken ownership of driving this at last APAC ambassadors meeting

  • Website
  • FUDPub
    • Rupali reached out to Venue1
    • Potential Venue 1
      • Space for 100 people
      • Reasonable (approx 1800 per person)
      • RH has relationship; payments are easier
      • Close to cocoon
      • No limitation on sound limits - a nice party can be had.
    • Amit suggsts place where there is bowling option. 
      • Reached out to one place
        • Option 1: $5600 for unlimited games, food and drinks for unlimited people (max 250)
        • Option 2: $4800 for 150 people, limited to 12 lanes and unlimited food, drinks, games.
    • On paud road there is go-carting place, not sure if they have bowling too.
    • Rupali continuing to reach out to others
      • Another venue visit next week

  • Swag
    • Let’s start thinking about this now; approach vendors.
    • Swag for Volunteers
      • tshirts (200)
    • Swag for Organisers?
    • Swag for Speakers
      • Mugs (200)?
        • siddhesh’s quote: 
        • shreyank’s quote: 
      • Umbrellas (200) (for sweet Pune rains)
    • Swag in general <- Shreyank
      • buttons (3000)
      • tattoo pasties
      • stickers (5000) <- siddhesh
      • pens (3000)
      • caps (300)
      • cloth bags (300)
      • diaries (200)  <- siddhesh
      • bottles (200)
      • pen drives (200)
      • magic mint dispenser (200) <- Amita
    • Fedora badge for attendees?(added to the FAS account)

  • Venue
    • WiFi
      • Siddhesh, Huzaifa, Rupali had a call with MIT sysadmin
      • MIT COE are keen on doing it; they need input from us.
        • Also talk about the Fedora mirror with them.
    • Power connector extensions
      • MIT are going to set this up.  Follow up
    • Note to speakers (include in prep email): In seminar hall: projectors are 4:3, screen quite small (don’t include small text)
    • Refreshments for speakers lounge / otherwise

  • MIT meetups
    • What to do?
      • Packaging?
      • Bugzapping
    • Siddhesh to reach out to MCUG (this week, I promise!)

  • Volunteers
    • College reopens on Jun 15
    • Many students will be on leave till Jun 15
    • We should identify students who will be available in the break - e.g. students from Pune who don’t plan to travel elsewhere; we don’t need too much of their time anyway
      • Rupali to get a list of volunteers from MITCOE.

  • Mobile Application
    • No updates
    • Siddharth + Rohan had volunteered

  • Videographing
    • No updates
      • kpoint: Not an option. Rates too high (20k per day just for recording)
        • asked for clarification on rates; they might have subsidised options for us
      • hasgeek
        • They’re  allowing us use of their equipment + train a few volunteers who can do  the recording.   Equipment needs to be brought from BLR to Pune.  Nice  gesture by them; but sounds complicated given the expensive equipment +  need to get volunteers to be trained.
      • Look for cheaper quotes from other professionals (Bipin)
      • Buy our own cameras? (Rupali)
      • Open source solutions for streaming (amit)
      • Last option will be to have a tiny webcam doing live Hangout – advantage is it has auto-archival on youtube.
        • amit: +1 for this option (or using the open source one for streaming)

comments powered by Disqus