Right now, the cvs version of ayttm looks pretty good. We've been able to get in YMSG16 support, MSNP15 support and a lot of fixes in the GUI and jabber. I finally got rid of the custom dialogs code in ayttm and Piotr has done a lot of work with the state/status messages. The netv2 code also seems to be looking quite good since nothing seems to be breaking in it of late.
There are a few filler functions that remain to be implemented in MSN so that it does not crash. Also, both yahoo and msn need file transfer and invitations -- I am not done with that either. I have been threatening to do a release for some time now, so I might just act out that threat in the coming weeks. So these are busy days.
First goal of getting yahoo working on YMSG16 is done. Read more about it in the ayttm journal. Roadmap for yahoo support is now:
- Fix the little things
- File Transfer
That will come in later. Most likely once netv2 merges into trunk. Now I will be shifting focus to MSN and other tiny protocols (livejournal, smtp, etc.) on netv2.
I finally finished writing a working implementation of the YMSG16 authentication as described in this article. The authentication seems to be working quite well, but nothing else does. The server still does not respond to the older binary type messages. So the next thing I tried was to wireshark the windows based yahoo messenger ( my employer provided the windows box for me :D ) and I found out two things:
- The Authentication probably is what is described in the carbonize site, but there looks to be a different way to get the initial challenge string
- All messages go to and from one server in the form of HTTP POST and responses
There some more cookies involved as well, which is what Adrian was probably talking about in the comment to my previous post. Thankfully, since ayttm is on YMSG12, we are still online unlike pidgin, so no need to rush in a fix for this just yet. That said, the popup says I have until August 15th till YMSG12 dies too. I need to see how pidgin has fixed this. Maybe the fix is much simpler than revamping everything to do what the windows YMSGR is doing.
Update: I was wrong. I sent the wrong message to the server after authentication — forgot to add the challenge digest, which is why it barfed on me. Work is on now for stuff after the auth :)